Wild Mushroom Gnocchi
Looking for a dish that warms the soul? Look no further than this comforting Wild Mushroom Gnocchi. The earthy flavours of this cream and mushroom based sauce pair beautifully with our terroir driven, slightly earthy, and gorgeously fruit driven Pinot Noir, Zwiegelt, or Gamay Noir. All three of these wines offer medium body and bright acidity that plays well with the richness of this dish. No matter which you choose, you can't go wrong!
- 1 package (500g) of gnocchi of choice or 500g of homemade
- 2 medium Shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic - minced
- 1 cup of sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup of sliced oyster mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dried mixed wild mushrooms such as porcini, chanterelles or morels
- 1 cup Beef Stock
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 cup Volcanic Hills Pinot Noir, Zwiegelt or Gamay Noir
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1.5 cups freshly grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese (Grana Padano is best for melting into the sauce.)
- 5 Sprigs fresh Thyme - remove leaves
- 2 cups fresh washed spinach
- 1/4 cup crushed walnuts
- Pepper to taste
- In a large oven proof skillet, toast walnuts over medium heat until fragrant and lightly golden. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat broth in a separate sauce pan on the stove until boiling. Once boiled, remove from heat and add dried mushroom mixture to rehydrate.
- Add shallots and garlic to skillet and sauté for 2min, add mushrooms and continue to sauté until shallots are translucent, soft, and mushrooms have begun to brown (approx. another 5-8mins).
- Remove rehydrated mushrooms from broth and add to sautéing mixture. Add in thyme leaves from fresh sprigs. Continue to cook until rehydrated mushrooms have started to brown.
- Add corn starch to remaining broth from mushroom mixture.
- Once all mushrooms are browned, deglaze saute pan with the wine. Scraping all browned bits from the bottom to incorporate.
- Add cornstarch and broth mixture. Add heavy cream and stir to incorporate.
- Once incorporated, add spinach and stir in until wilted - approx 1 min.
- Add 2/3 of the grana padano to the sauce and save the rest for garnish at the end.
- Cook Gnocchi - bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook gnocchi until tender and pasta floats. Strain cooked pasta from pot and add to mushroom mixture.
- Serve in bowls and top with walnuts and remaining cheese!
- Garnish with pepper if desired.